The motor neuron diseases (MND) are a group of neurological disorders that selectively affect motor neurons. MND includes the following kinds of clinical types according to the sites. All over the world, ALS is considered to be synonymous of MND. It is also called Lou Gehrig’s disease in the USA.
According to the diseased parts
- Both upper and lower motor neuron damage results in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The symptom is hand weakness and atrophy, usually spreads from one side to the other side, with the progression of the upper and lower motor neuron damage. In the later course of the disease, the whole body muscles’ wasting and atrophy may leads to not rising one’s head, difficulty in breathing and finally bed-ridden.
- Lower motor neuron damage resulted in progressive spinal muscular atrophy (PSMA) and progressive bulbar palsy (PBP). most people get this disease in their 30’s, usually weakness of hand muscle and gradually muscle atrophic, affecting one side or both sides, or start from one side then spread to the other.
- Upper motor neuron damaged mainly results in primary lateral sclerosis, PLS. symptoms as limb weakness, tight and the action is not flexible. Symptoms start at lower limbs which are severe and then spread to the upper limbs.
Stem cell therapy for motor neuron disease in ReLife
What is stem cell therapy? As the most basic building blocks of the human body, stem cells are characterized by their ability to differentiate and mature into other types of cells with specialized functions. They are also known for their ability to self-generate, a phenomenon where they divide and produce more stem cells. During early childhood, stem cells may develop into a variety of different cell types. They are also capable of replenishing other cells, acting as the body’s own automatic repair system. This ability makes them an ideal treatment for many diseases; this treatment is called stem cell therapy. The MSCs we used at ReLife are obtained from the umbilical cord tissue it is not only easily obtained but also sufficient. It is easier access to allogeneic sources because of low immunogenicity. It may help repairing the injured motor neuron, and activate the neuron cell to growth. The time of treatment varies according to the differentiation of patient’s condition, usually about 3-4 weeks. Through this therapy the symptoms will be relieved, activity capacity will be increased and the patient’s condition will take a favorable turn. The treatment effect relates to the age and disease duration. There is almost no series side effect during the treatment course except slight headache and low degree fever, so it is safe.
Msenchymal Stem Cell Therapy effect
- The MSCs being injected into her blood can locate into impaired neuron cell and repair it, improve general condition
- MSCs help to stimulate the regeneration and recovery of her nervous system and immune system to help the impaired cells recover to normal functions gradually, improve general condition.
- MSCs injected using intravenous injection will improve her overall condition.
Combine Traditional Chinese Medicine
Traditional Chinese Medicine is a green, safe and effective treatment method, which proposes treatment according to syndrome differentiation. Via acupuncture, traditional Chinese medicine, moxibustion, massage and natural therapy. TCM focuses on recovering the balance of patient’s body, strengthening the body’s ability to eliminate pathogenic factor, by adjusting the balance of Qi and activating blood circulation to dissipate blood stasis dredge the channels in the lesion area. TCM regulate the inner body environment to enhance the effectiveness of MSC therapy, finally relax the muscle and increase the muscle strength, achieving a better health condition. Here in ReLife, we combine TCM treatment with mesenchymal stem cell therapy to treat MND. It can get a better treatment effect which is proved by previous clinical application.
Disclaimer: Please note the results will differ due to each patient’s unique condition. Please submit your medical files to obtain a professional consultation with us.